Saturday, September 10, 2011

Shoppingshoppingshopping!

Firstly I would like to say sorry for not updating my blog as often as I usually do! I have been busy with school and I actually don't have much time to spare during the week.

School was good! Last week was better than the first and I hope it continues to get better week by week. I have made good friends and everyone is all so nice! Though one thing I've noticed is that the boys here are a lot more shy than in the US! My teacher told me I should learn 20 characters per night...thats a lot of words but I think I have to because at the end of the year I have to take an HSK test! (Which is a placement test to see my level and understanding in Chinese).

So this weekend is a three-day weekend! Because on September 12th it is Mid-Autumn Festival (sometimes also called Mooncake festival or lantern festival). The Mid-Autumn festival has been a tradition for over 3,000 years. This is one of the most important events for Chinese people throughout the year. Its when families gather together and stay up late while eating mooncakes!






On Saturday Violet's cousin, Jane and I went shopping together. It was a very long and fun day! We actually went to a bunch of different places from 10:30 AM until 9:30 PM! At the end of the day my legs were so sore! In the morning we took a bus to a market called: Huan Buo Huan Bei. It was like any other market where each store is owned by someone and you can always bargain and negotiate a price. I didn't end up buying anything here but we sure spent a lot of time here! For lunch we had fish cakes (Tian Bu La!), I think thats a new favorite for me! At around 2:30 PM Jane and I took the bus over to Aqua City and shopped for a while! I bought a bunch of winter clothes at Uni-Clo. Living in Hawaii made me forget what winter is like and how cold its going to be! So I am trying to prepare as much as I can! After Aqua City we decided to go to Fu Zi Miao, also known as the Confusious Temple. On the way there I spotted a shoe store and I bought a pair of "TOMS", my converse are getting so worn out from walking around Nanjing so much! Fu Zi Miao  was really fun because there were a lot of people out and since it was dark out, the temple's and boats were lit up. Inside Fu Zi Miao there were a lot of shopping and food shops. I ended up buying some hair accessories! I also bought a chinese brush with my name and date engraved in it!

We ended up going home around 9:30 and I was so tired by the end of the day. We took the 33 to get home and right when we got on the bus, Ruby (Hawk's host mother) spotted me and we started talking for a bit, then she mentioned Hawk was sitting in the back of the bus so I squeezed my way through all the people on the bus and went over to talk to him! It was funny how both of us were on the bus at the same time! Once we started talking the whole bus, literally was looking at us because we were talking english to each other! lol. Hawk and I decided to hangout on Sunday so I'll be seeing him later on :) I'll write about our day later!

1 comment:

  1. AHH thats so cool. and i used to alwayas wana go to the mooncake festival ever since i was a kid and watched that chinese cat show.... i 4got wut its called.. OH IT WAS "Sagwa, the chinese siamese cat" >_< TEEHEE :p TELL ME HOW THAT GOES! and geez the food there looks yummalicious and asn LMAO :p tell me how the cruise sesh with hawk goes also! do u have a local accent kinda?

    ReplyDelete